How It Works (FAQ’s)
1. What’s the difference between Aqua Boxing Gloves and 3 lb weights or weighted gloves?
Unlike 3 lb dumbbells, the Aqua Boxing Glove does not require you hold the weight! The problem with weighted boxing gloves is the distribution of weight, which tends to only rest near the wrists. The metal weights slide or sag uncontrollably toward one side or the other, creating an unhealthy imbalance because the weight doesn’t dynamically respond to changes in direction or speed (velocity). That’s not to mention the chief complaint from boxers: The chaffing, which results from weight sliding on the skin. On the other hand, the Aqua Boxing Glove bypasses these challenges by:
- Providing a natural fit that still feels like a traditional boxing glove. This allows for natural fluid motion without detracting focus. It also helps avoid hitting your own face or limbs with the weights.
- Distributing water weight evenly around the hand, end of the fist, and forearm, depending on hand position. This more realistically mimics fatigue (dynamic resistance) that fighters experience during a bout.
2. Will you experience jarring to the shoulders after using the Aqua Boxing Glove?
Contrary to what you may think, the shifting water weight when used properly does NOT cause jarring or injuries to the rotator cuff. Conversely, since the water only travels a short distance at a low weight, it enhances the user’s experience by providing reciprocating inertial forces created inherently by the user’s own velocity when punching or moving. This activates secondary supportive stabilizers in and around the rotator cuff. So not only do you avoid impact or jarring, but you also strengthen your shoulders in areas where a traditional boxing glove falls short.
3. What can you use the gloves for?
Aqua Boxing Gloves, although NOT intended for impact, can be used for more than shadowboxing. You can use them on:
- Reflexive bags like double-end and other similar flexible rebound bags that DO NOT oppose force like a heavy bag.
- High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T.) & Strength Training.
4. How do you ensure the water weight is even, and what is the optimal water level for training?
To ensure even resistance, a 16 oz (1 lb) measuring bottle is provided with your purchase. Although users’ abilities will vary, the best part about the Aqua Boxing Glove is its adjustable features. It’s adaptable for all levels! For stability training, our extensive testing found that filling the gloves no more than halfway (2.5 lbs or 40 oz) allows the water to travel at least half the distance to the tip of the fist during exercise. Anything more than that begins to mitigate the dynamic forces. As a result, you will get more “dead weight,” which is perfectly fine if that is the desired effect. Be sure to think about your workout and desired results before beginning the filling process.